Delta Air Lines
Baggage Waiver Process and Application
Delta is not accepting any new sponsorship or charitable applications at this time.
Delta Air Lines Baggage Waiver program waives the baggage fees and assists qualifying charitable organizations traveling on international humanitarian missions. This information is provided to help groups seeking consideration of this type of waiver.
Delta receives a large number of baggage waiver requests annually, and while they are all great causes, unfortunately we cannot approve them all. Please do not assume your waiver will be approved, but wait to receive a reply after submitting the necessary information in the application.
Baggage waiver requests must be submitted 14 business days prior to departure date but no more than 30 days in advance in order to be considered. In order to qualify for a baggage waiver exception your reservation must be paid in full and ticketed.
Please note that the following eligibility requirements must be met in order to make application for a baggage waiver from Delta Air Lines:
- Decisions on honoring baggage waivers take into account many factors - including but not limited to passenger and cargo loads, weight and balance of the aircraft, embargoes in effect at the destination, expected demand, etc. - and are made 14 business days prior to departure. We regret we cannot accept baggage waiver requests inside 14 business days prior to departure date.
- Charitable organizations requesting waiver must have a current 501(c)(3) status. In order to be considered, Organizations must attach a copy of their most current 4168c affirmation letter or Form 990 from the IRS or other current IRS documentation.
- Delta's baggage waiver program applies to Delta-operated flights only. Partner airlines do not recognize Delta's baggage waivers. If your travel is on a partner airline, you will need to contact that airline for your baggage waiver request.
- Groups must book travel first, before requesting a baggage waiver. Please provide Delta (Confirmation Number) for each person traveling at the time of the request.
- No more than 15 passengers are allowed to request waivers from your organization. Your organization is allowed one (1) request for consideration in a calendar year.
- Baggage waivers are only approved for one-way, outbound, international travel. Return baggage waivers are not granted. We do not provide baggage waivers for domestic travel.
- Before requesting baggage waivers, check on Delta.com to see if there are embargoes on baggage to the international destination requested.
- Passengers must travel with their extra baggage. If passengers will not be on the flight, the organization must contact Delta's cargo department.
- Marching bands, film crews with equipment, and groups traveling with bicycles are not eligible for baggage waivers.
- Baggage waivers are not issued to travel agents. Clients must make the request of Delta Air Lines directly.
If all eligible criteria outlined have been met, submit the necessary information for application of baggage waiver via this online website. New users should register while returning users should sign in using your email address and previously established password. Remember, we cannot consider requests within 14 days of departure.
Delta's Reservations will review the request and reply within 48 hours from receipt of online application. If additional information is required to adequately review the request, an e-mail will be sent requesting necessary information. Please do not call to inquire upon the status of the request; you will receive an e-mail from Reservations.
Thank you for your assistance in honoring these guidelines to help us better manage the program.